Monday, October 19, 2009

Incredible!

This morning's visit to the prison was incredible. I had been asked by my friend, Missy, to lead the time today as she was home ill. One of the prisoners is in the hospital and one has recently been released, so it was to be a small group. As we were about to enter the women's prison compound, I turned and looked at our group and said, "I am thinking we should not do the lesson today, but we should..." and Holly piped up, "Pray instead." Exactly what I was thinking.

As we entered the compound the 3 prisoners were helping to take out the extensions in one of the guards hair. They did not seem as excited to see us as usuall...everyone seemed a bit down. But, we gathered together and began updating them on everyone: Murna, who was released a month ago, is teaching at a deaf school in another city. Patience, who was released last week, is living at the lawyer's house (Cecilia is a wonderful person who is reviewing all the women's cases for free) until a room is ready for her at Gidan Bege. Stella, is in the hospital and is not doing well. They think she has cervical cancer.

After updating everyone we read a few passages of scripture: Psalm 121 and Philippians 4:5-7. Then, we stood in a circle, holding hands to pray. I had encouraged all of the women to pray- and to pray in their own language if they wanted- but I didn't expect everyone to pray. Boy, was I wrong! As we stood their praying one of the women was led kneel, so some of us followed suite, and by the end, everyone had prayed passionately to our God...asking Him to forgive us, thanking Him for grace and mercy, and pleading Him to help Stella. It was such a humbling and encouraging time!

After the prayer time, we spent time singing and praising our Lord. During the singing time the head female guard came over and joined us. She then spoke about how she appreciates that we are also teaching the guards as the guards care about the women prisoners and their spritual health. Amazing!

After our time at the prison we decided to visit Stella. It was so sad to see our joyful sister in Christ (who came ti Christ in prison) laying in a bed, weak and dazed. Missy is trying to get assistance for her so that we can have a missionary doctor who specializes in cervical cancer (and who happens to be here until December) look at Stella and treat her. Please pray for Stella, that God will comfort and strenghten her. Thanks!

No comments: