Communication has been the hot topic for today. Toby and I went to a meeting at church for those involved in leadership. One of the main points was that the church is trying to better communicate changes that are going on within the church. Each session mentioned communication and we need to communicate better in order to be a better community.
Then at home Toby and I have struggled with clear communication all day. Someone says (or thinks they say) something and the other person hears something else...what a mess. It takes patience (which we often lack) and communication to clear things up. I am a firm believer that men and women talk and think differently and a year of marriage has only strengthened my opinion in this matter.
Speaking of communication...let's talk about communicating with other drivers. A recent issue of D Magazine mentioned that Dallas tops the list as "the most dangerous city in the nation in which to drive". I know the reason: we don't communicate with each other while driving. Do cars even come equipped with blinkers any more????? I can't begin to tell you how many times I've been cut off by someone who didn't even have their blinker on. It's not just a courtesy to use a blinker - it can save lives!!!! Toby has also noticed that people don't turn their heads to look in their blind spot before moving over - these people are not "listening" to other cars...another communication problem. If we would start being respectful drivers and try communicating with those on the road less accidents would occur and road rage would go down.
Saturday, August 19, 2006
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

3 comments:
It is scary to think that we all try and teach kids on how to communicate with each other but the truth is that adults stink at it.
I was thinking about this today after reading your post for a second time. As kids are being taught one way they are seeing things in a different light as they view the world around them. So imagine how their driving habits will be when they get behind the wheel.
Writing this has got me thinkin about how we are around the kids. I know this summer during our mission trip to Costa Rica we taught them one way but showed them something different.
Thanks dear for makin me think about all of that and convicting me.
OK reading my comment i see something that could be mistaken greatly.
"...we taught them one way but showed them something different."
It should have read that there were a couple of very small instances that could have shown them something different than what we tried to instill.
thanks for clarifying!
Post a Comment