Thursday, November 09, 2006

It's been a while....

I know, it's been a few MONTHS since I posted. But since no one really reads my blog, oh well....

It's been a busy couple of months, but God has been teaching me a ton. There are two thoughts that have really been on my mind lately.

1. BELIEVE: I am involved in a few Bible studies this fall. Two of them go together really well as their topics complement each other. Anyhow, I recently re-read Mark 9: 24 which says, "Immediately the boy's father exclaimed, "I do believe; help me overcome my unbelief!" (NIV). Wow! This is such a great prayer for me. I Believe that I am saved from my sin because of Christ's death on the cross. I Believe I will be in heaven with God for eternity. I Believe that God has a plan for my life. However, do I really believe that He can take care of me each day? That He will provide for me? That He will give me the strength I need? I struggle so much with BELIEVING in God for the day to day, minute to minute things. I am constantly trying to live my life through my own strength and under my own control, not His. "Lord, please help me to Believe in you for all parts of my life!"

2. Okay...this one is random...but the thought came about after all the crazy stuff I heard after Governor Perry admitted to being a Christian and agreed with a pastor who proclaimed that all those who do not know Christ are going to Hell. (The Bible teaches that it is only through faith in Christ that a person can be with God - without it a person is separated from God for eternity- this separation is known in our times as Hell.) Anyhow, back to my point. Non-Christians were very offended by this comment - and often are offended if anyone makes this statement. Wait a minute...why are they offended? If they don't believe Christ is the Messiah or if they don't even believe in God, why does it matter to them if Christians believe they are going to Hell? If they don't believe in God or feel a need for Christ then why do they care about going to Heaven?

I think I have an answer - but they won't like it. It is because GOD CREATED ALL PEOPLE, LOVES ALL PEOPLE, and DESIRES TO BE LOVED by ALL PEOPLE. Within our souls there is an inherent need for GOD. When we choose to ignore this need and believe there is no God or that we do not need Him, then we feel offended when someone tells us this unbelief will not get us into heaven. It is not that God is not allowing certain people to be with Him, it is that we are not choosing to be with Him.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I would read it if you would post more often.

It has been awesome being married to you due to the conversations such as the ones we have had on these topics. Not all to in depth some times but the nuggets I pull from you are awesome.