Thursday, February 01, 2007

Security in Christ

For years I have heard arguements as to whether or not we have assurance of our salvation through Christ. My roomates in Bolivia argued that we can "lose" our salvation. I always argued that we cannot. Today, I found even more insight into this during the Beth Moore study I am doing. The study is talking about God's love for us. Psalm 89: 31-33 (NIV)says this:

31 if they violate my decrees
and fail to keep my commands,

32 I will punish their sin with the rod,
their iniquity with flogging;

33 but I will not take my love from him,
nor will I ever betray my faithfulness.


This verse supports the idea that we cannot lose our salvation because God will never betray His faithfulness! Since salvation is not something we do for ourselves, it is a gift, it cannot be lost. How prideful it is to think that you can do something that would separate you from God's love. This is why it is so important to understand that salvation comes thorugh faith, not works, "so that no one can boast!". Unlike many other religions what we do is not what gets us to heaven - because there is no way we could ever do enough! It is who we believe in, who we trust in...it is only through faith in Christ that we are saved.

For I am convinced that neither death nor life, neither angels nor demons, neither the present nor the future, nor any powers, neither height nor depth, nor anything else in all creation, will be able to separate us from the love of God that is in Christ Jesus our Lord. (Romans 8:38-39, NIV)

No comments: