Saturday, June 27, 2009

Shopping at Target

OK, so I didn’t really go shopping at Target today but as I drove to the Tamerash supermarket I imagined I was going to Target. Now this store is not at BIG or as well organized as Target, and you can’t find near as many things as you can find at Target, but it is the nicest, roomiest store here in Jos and the only one where I feel relaxed as I browse the 3 aisles. Plus, I haven’t been there in a while (since we moved into the Hostel we don’t do much shopping- which is good as it saves us money but not so good as I don’t get out as much) so I was looking forward to a little browsing.

We pulled into the parking garage (it’s the only store here with one) and the attendant directed me on how to park (which is SO helpful since the spaces are very small). He always does an excellent job and always greets Caden. Caden and I got out of the car and started up the steps to the second floor– Caden likes to go to this store because he gets to climb the stairs. When we got up to the store I noticed right away that there was no electricity (which, if you have read any of my other blogs and such, you will know is not uncommon).

We began in the card/stationary/toy section where I picked up a birthday card (the only one they had) for a friend and found a couple of pencil sharpeners. Caden liked having those to hold as he stood in the cart (I know…he really should sit but these carts don’t have seats and trying to get an almost 2 year old to sit in a cart…well, you can imagine). Next we went around to the toiletries/cleaning supplies area to look for nail polish as I didn’t bring any with me. The only colors they had today were bright green, blue and silver…I am pretty boring and prefer pink for my toes. I did, however, find nail polish remover and cotton balls…score!

Next I went to get some cheese as we are having pizza for dinner tonight. I noticed that the cheese cost 3000 Naira/kilo (that’s about $10/pound). I remember that it costs only 2400 Naira/Kilo ($7.50/pound) at another store so I decided to wait and go there. The entire time I am shopping I notice that a man is following me around with a little basket and putting items in every time I put an item in my basket. This seemed odd to me.

So, I go the counter to pay (after picking up a little chocolate treat for Caden and me) and the man puts his basket on the counter as I am putting my items there. I look at his basket and notice that he has selected exactly the same items as I did! This concerns me, so I mention to the check out attendant that it seems rather odd. I’m glad I said something because she explained that since they had no electricity they need to hand record what items I purchase for inventory; to make my transaction quicker they collect the items so they can complete it when I leave. Oh, Ok…now I’m not so freaked out.

So, after this store we drive to the main road (which I hate driving on because it is SOOOOOO crazy) and I find a place to park on the median…yes, you read correctly, I said ON the median. It is much easier to jump the curb and park on the median, facing the direction you want to go, than to try and reverse out of one of the parking spaces into the crazy traffic.

Fortunately, the first store we went in had pink nail polish and it cost less than $2 (we’ll see how well it works) and the place next door had the cheese for less…so, it was a productive stop and a productive morning. AAHHH…I can smell our cook starting the pizza now!

No comments: