The students arrived at the hostel over a week ago. We have 2 girls and 2 boys living with us (another boy hopes to join us in 2 months). Last night the 2 girls went to a sleepover, leaving just the boys here. So, they invited a friend over. Anyhow, Thursday night I asked the guys what kind of snacks they would like for Friday night. Some jokingly mentioned Ice Cream sandwiches...hmm..I thought..."we could do that."
So, Friday I had our cook make chocolate cookies and I bought the ice cream. I instructed the cook on how to make them by saying, you pu ice cream between two cookies...just like when we add frosting (the cookie recipe usually calls for frosting in the middle).
Well, when I walked in to see how they were coming I noticed a problem...ther was just a thin layer of ice cream between the cookies. So, I said, "you need to use a lot more...there should be more ice cream than cookie. They thought it was funny to have so much but in the end the ice cream sandwiches turned out great.
I know, you really didn't want to read about our ice cream sandwich creations. The words "pig snout" are what really caught your eye.
Yesterday my neighbor Missy went out to the village of Miango to visit a freind and buy meat (they have a good butcher out there). I asked her to pick up a ham, some bacon and pork chops. When she got there she dropped off our order with them to fill it with what they could while she had lunch with her friend. After lunch, she picked up our cooler and journeyed home.
Well, when she arrived home she called to tell me that she had our meat...but that it wasn't what we expected. So we walked over to get it and saw the PIG SNOUT peaking out of the cooler...apparently they didn't have any ham so thay had sold us 22 POUNDS of pork...snout included!!! Considering that the last ham we purchased from there was only 3.25 lbs this one is HUGE! At the moment, it's sitting in our freezer waiting for the day we decide to cook it...and it will be an all day event!
Today Toby has 7 Nigerian guys he has been working with coming over for a cooking lesson and movie night. They have recently graduated from High School and they are ready to enter the "real world"....so, they are shopping for ingredients and are cook is coming to show them how to cook. Our dinner this evening will be interesting :)
Caden has been cracking us up this morning...he runs around the house making all sorts of silly noises, jumps up and down in the living room, rolls around on the floor, and walks around in our shoes...too cute!
Well, I guess that's it for my random thoughts...
Saturday, August 15, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment