Wednesday, July 30, 2008

Random thoughts...

I am queen of Random thoughts...or so Toby says. Anyhow, I've got two topics to write about today and they are not at all related. One is about Caden, my favorite subject and the other is about a book I am reading...well, listening to on CD.

CADEN- he has grown so much since we departed for our "over 3000 mile so far" journey! When I say grown, I really mean matured or developed. His hair was getting really long and shaggy so on Monday we did the "first haircut" thing...I've got video and pics of that somewhere so it'll be a post one day soon. The other big thing has to do with what he is eating. For the longest time he has not been at all interested in solid food...anything other than baby food that was put in his mouth was promptly spit out. However, at our SIM training he started tasting a few things...and despite a couple instances where these "taste-fests" ended with technicolor yawns, he did OK. However, on Sunday we went to a "Taste of Lake County" fair and he ate everything we gave him...and even wanted more! This included a corn cake with shredded chicken on it and some beef from a kabob-type meat on a stick thing. Then, Monday he enjoyed guacamole, refried beans and meat from a Chimichanga...for lunch...then for dinner he nibbled on a piece of mozzarella cheese and a few bites of lasagna! Today his grandparents gave him some fish from a fish sandwich then he enjoyed gyro meat!! He is becoming an adventurous eater.

OK....switch gears.... now about the book.

I am listening to State of Fear by Michael Crichton. (I find listening to books in the car makes the drive go by quicker.) Anyhow, a theory he brings up is that governments find it necessary to keep their people in a state of fear. He cites the cold war as an example...where both the West USA and the USSR kept their countries fearing each other. He says that this keeps countries working...people pay taxes, following rules and laws, etc... Anyhow, the interesting part is when a character talks about that since the Cold War is over, the government has to find other things to instill in us a "state of fear" and that one of those things currently is the environment and the fact that the earth is suffering and we are killing the earth. Anyhow, I find this a very interesting concept ... that's all.

No comments: